Heirloom Wood Countertops are one of the most durable kitchen work surfaces available. Taking care of your new countertop is easy. Simply follow these guidelines:
- To clean, the countertop can be wiped down with a mild detergent that does not contain ammonia. Rinse the top with clean water and let dry.
- To disinfect, use a vinegar/water solution that is approximately 20% white vinegar. After the top is dry, mist the top with the vinegar solution and let dry.
- Do NOT use ammonia-based cleaners. Over time they will soften and cloud the finish.
Re-Oiling Your Top
The two most common reasons to re-oil your wood countertops are:
- The top is damaged by deep scratches, cut marks (if you are using the top for food preparation), or the finish has been discolored by a chemical, etc.
- Some of the oil has rubbed off during the course of everyday use and cleaning. It is time to re-oil when setting a cold drink on the top creates a faint discoloration (water ring).
How long this takes will depend on the amount of use. Based on our customers’ experience, this ranges from every twelve months (for covered, outdoor use) to never. With moderate use, the top should be re-oiled every 4 to 5 years.